Monday, August 18, 2008

To the Homeland.




Being more than 50% Norwegian, it is surprising that no one in my immediate family has been to Norway. Luckily, I had the chance for a quick, 24 hour blast to Norway this weekend. I traveled by overnight train from Odense to Sandefjord, Norway, where my friend Tore picked me up. We spent the day on a little road trip from Sandefjord to Rjukan, Norway. This is the place where the Nazis were producing heavy water for their atomic research in WWII. Luckily, the British special forces did some cool sabotage and sunk the boat containing their heavy water. Yeah, England! Anyway, it was beautiful up there. On the way back, we drove over a mountain pass, and past an old church that's about 1000 years old.

We headed back to Langesund, Norway, where we spent the night with some friends of Tore's. Our mode of transport was Tore's kick ass 1986 M5 BMW, most excellent for small narrow mountain roads, and we took turns driving it on the route.

See more photos here.

1 comment:

Tom Beck said...

Hey Jonboy, happy new year! This old fart is trying to get with the hi-tech stuff Ben and Britty show me, and here I am posting on an older blog! Wonderful pictures! Hi to Liz! tom